Friday, February 1, 2013

Risotto you don't have to stir for 30 minutes!

Usually, I am someone who gets a real kick out of cooking from scratch and doing things myself, however I do not enjoy standing over a hot stove constantly stirring. I always assumed that meant risotto would not be something on my regular rotation.. Until I discovered how good oven baked risotto is! This recipe is so simple and the great thing is, most of these ingredients I have on hand at any given time. 


Ingredients


  • 2 cups Arborio rice
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 120 g butter
  • 700 g diced pumpkin
  • 3-5 bacon rashers, diced
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 200 g mushrooms, sliced
  • Parmesan cheese, to serve

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
  2. Melt butter and fry onion, bacon and mushroom until onion is transparent and bacon is almost crisp. I usually add some garlic at this point, because garlic improves everything! 
  3. Spread pumpkin onto baking sheet ready to bake! (The recipe originally just put this into the casserole, but I like it baked and it isn't anymore work to roast it while it is cooking and stir it through at the end, I find it takes a very similar amount of time to cook) 
  4. Put all remaining ingredients in a casserole dish. Mix well.
  5. Cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until rice is tender

Now I realise this dish doesn't lend itself to presentation perfectly, but it does taste delicious. I have never tried it but I am sure you could substitute the pumpkin, mushrooms and bacon for other things. I am envisioning it with chorizo and sweet potato. 

I hope you enjoy -if you try any other flavour combinations I would love to hear about them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment